Monday, July 2, 2012

Mercadante Wood Fired Pizzeria

On Saturday night we headed over to Lygon Street for a dinner with some of Ray's workmates at Mercadante Wood Fired Pizzeria. I hadn't been there before so I did a quick search on urbanspoon to see what we were in for. Good thing I did, so I was prepared when we had someone pretend to spill wine on us (it was a trick glass) and throw plastic spiders at us... good for a laugh, it's a casual pizzeria so don't be expecting a high class atmosphere here.


We had a booking for 8:30pm, arrived at 8:45pm and were told that the prior group of people dining were just finishing up and it wouldn't be much longer. Too bad we had to wait out in the cold though. We were seated just after 9pm so we didn't have to wait for too long, but I thought the whole point of making a booking is so you don't have to wait for a table?


Ray and I ordered a 13" Calabrese pizza ($16.50) and the "Famous Chocolate Pizza" Sfilatino ($13.00). It was the perfect amount of food for both of us although I could have kept on eating the chocolate pizza all night it was so good! You can't really go wrong with Nutella. The Calabrese was also delicious, I really liked the pizza bases there. The others in our group ordered various pastas and all complimented the food. There was a little bit of a wait for our pizza though, we were all starving as it was around 9:30pm by the time the food started coming out and we had to convince the others to start eating first while we waited for our pizza. It really should come out all together.


The music was also a bit strange throughout the night, and at various points the volume got turned up so loud I could barely hear myself speak let alone anyone else at our table.


I would come back for the food, and while the staff were pleasant enough, I think the service could be improved.


Photos taken on Samsung Galaxy Note.








Mercadante Woodfired Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. That's so annoying about having to wait even though you'd booked! Especially in the miserable weather Melbourne's been having!

    Interesting about the pranks... it sounds good fun, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. When you go out for a nice meal, you just want to relax and eat, not have to worry about silly pranks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah if I wasn't forewarned about the pranks I would have been very WTF but he only did those two to us so it wasn't too bad. Any more would have got to the annoying stage. It was worth going there for the chocolate pizza though!!!

      Delete
  2. I adore Lygon St! but the fact you guys had to wait..Grr
    This food looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was so good. Do you have a favourite spot on Lygon?

      Delete
  3. That looks like great food! I don't know about a pizzeria pulling pranks on you, that would be enough to make me want to avoid the place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure many people would find it a bit off-putting, but the food is really good and the place was packed so it seems not too many mind!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails