Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Absence makes the heart grow fonder


Well it's been busy times around here with my uncle from HK visiting for a few days which meant cramming a lot of family time in the time he had here! I decided to invite them all over to our place and cooked up a storm leaving me exhausted that night! Entertaining is hard work! I was too busy to take photos of all the scrumptious things I cooked up but this was my menu:

- Garlic bread: I wish I had made the bread myself but we bought a crusty roll (turkish bread works well too), sliced it up, buttered it, spread some chopped garlic on each slice, drizzled some olive oil over the lot and then in the oven til it's warm and crunchy. Yum!
- Caramelised onion and tomato tarts
- Pumpkin and haloumi salad with spinach, rocket, pine nuts, mini roma tomatoes and a sweet mustard dressing
- Chicken wingettes (easy peasy in the convection oven)
- Pulled pork sliders
- Sticky date pudding


Turned out to be more than enough food for 13 so we had plenty of leftovers for the next week!

On Saturday I didn't feel like cooking so Ray and I went out for dinner. It had been over a year since we visited TGI Friday's and I was craving some juicy ribs so we drove over to Forest Hill for our TGIF's fix. We had our usual meal: potato twists, one rack of Jack Daniel's ribs and a side of onion rings. It was all super tasty as usual, but I was a bit disappointed to see the size of the ribs have seemed to have decreased and they have added a couple of bits of corn to make up for it... I'd prefer big ribs with no corn thanks! Looked more like half a rack to be honest. Also the table was really gross and sticky, we had to call someone over to wipe it down again for us. The we had to call someone over to bring us cutlery... the service was a bit lacking. So it will probably be at least another year before we venture into TGIF's again. If ever. Damn those potato twists are good.


T.G.I. FRiDAY'S on Urbanspoon

In other news one of Ray's Lolas (grandma) in the Philippines is sick so his dad, his sister and himself are off to visit her. So I will be all alonesome with Quorra for just over a week. It'll be the longest we've been apart for years now, and the first time I will be alone since we moved out from our parent's places two years ago. Thankfully it is only a week as I think I will be pretty lonely, but my friend Kate and I are doing a challenge at the gym to see how many group classes we can attend in 28 days so I plan on spending a lot of time there! Our names our up on a board and you get a sticker every class you attend which is currently a bit embarrassing as there is not many next to my name!

I also plan on taking this time to experiment with more vegetarian and healthy meals, as Ray is a serious meat eater it can be hard to persuade him to go along with my brown rice, bok choy and tofu dishes!

Does anyone reading (hello!) have some delish vegie or just plain healthy recipes to share? Would love some ideas on what to cook while hubby is away! :)

2 comments:

  1. All that food looks delicious!! Being apart really sucks.. My husband is away a bit for work but just for a few days and I really struggle to sleep without him. I'm the biggest sook! hehehe

    btw, I've nominated you for a liebster award, if you would like to participate, please see my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nominating me! :)
      Not sure if my answers will be very interesting haha but I've added some of the other blogs you listed to my reading list! It's a great way of sharing up and coming blogs.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails