Sunday, April 28, 2013

O'Connell's Centenary Hotel, South Melbourne

Seeing as Ray's mum would be home alone on Mother's Day (Ray, his dad and his sister are off in the Philippines to visit Ray's Lola), we decided to have an early Mother's Day dinner before Ray left.

Ray chose the restaurant - O'Connell's Centenary Hotel in South Melbourne.

I believe it's had a fairly recent renovation, and I found the setting to be quite pleasant, although the noise did filter through to the restaurant from the bar side.

Firstly the complimentary bread that was brought out was soooo salty! I don't normally associate salt and bread but this bread was just overwhelmingly salty. It was so weird.

The starters we ordered were really good, probably the highlight of the meal. We had the seafood tasting plate for 2 which consisted of seared tuna tataki, salt and pepper cuttlefish with chimchurri salsa, garlic prawns with chorizo, cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs ($36). The prawns were the stand-out and my favourite of the night. We also had two serves of the breaded oysters with warm spanish salsa ($12 for 3). I also really enjoyed this dish, and sister-in-law who does not normally like oysters loved it.


For the main course I had the tempura zucchini flowers with goats cheese, pumpkin, zucchini, fried potato gnocchi, sage butter ($32). I enjoyed all the components of the dish, and the gnocchi was lovely and soft, but I would have like a bit more sauce to give it more flavour.

Ray had a slrloin steak ($36) which he was very happy with. It came with handcut chips (not pictured). The others seemed to enjoy their meals as well, except Ray's mum who had the pork and found it to be a bit dry.



For dessert Ray and I shared a tarte tatin with caramelised honey ice cream ($18). This is made to order which requires a 20 minute wait. I thought the fruit could have been cooked longer as it was still very firm, almost crunchy. I'm pretty sure the scoop of ice cream on the tart was just vanilla, and the liquid in the little jug was supposed to be the honey ice cream? I was a bit confused as to what was what. But anyway, the sweetness of the ice cream was balanced by the slightly bitter pastry, which meant it was overall not too sweet. I enjoyed the overall flavours of the dish.

The others shared a sticky date pudding ($14), and the selection of freshly churned ice creams ($12). I didn't hear any complaints so I believe they were OK.


Overall it was a pleasant dining experience, I would recommend you try it out but it wasn't so good that I would return given the long list of restaurants on my to go to list!

O'Connell's Hotel South Melbourne on Urbanspoon

After dinner I had to drop hubby off at the airport :( Wow my hair is getting crazy long. Time for a chop methinks!

 (top from Forever 21, necklace from Urban Outfitters)

1 comment:

  1. The food looks delicious!

    I love your top, the sparkles are a nice element.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails